Everyone loves pizza. I mean what is not to love about it? Plain cheese pizza is classic, but when you add those toppings on… life becomes REAL GOOD.
Gourmet pizza is my favourite kind of pizza. So when I stumbled upon this recipe on Half Baked Harvest, I knew I had to make it. I was able to share the pizza making experience with my friend Steph, who happens to be an amazing Beauty Blogger and a foodie. We actually made this recipe a while back. Since this recipe had so many different ingredients and components, it was easy to make alterations that suited what we had or preferred.
The best thing about this recipe is that nectarines are currently in season! So grab some while they’re fresh and make yourself some delicious pizza!!!
The recipe below is how we made it, inclusive of all our alterations.
Prep Time: 30 minutes // Cook Time: 20 minutes // Servings: 4 pizzas
- 4 slices of Naan
- 8 oz fontina cheese (shredded)
- 6 oz blue cheese (crumbled)
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes
- 1/3 cup roasted walnuts
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 nectarines (thinly sliced)
- 2 tsp honey
Spicy Balsamic Drizzle
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp Sriracha
The Recipe Process:
- In a skillet over medium-low heat toast the walnuts for 5-8 minutes. Keep an eye on them and continually stir to prevent them from burning! Once they are toasted, let them cool for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the cooled walnuts with basil and parmesan into a food processor. Pulse until finely ground. Then drizzle in olive oil and add pepper to taste.
- Heat a pan over high-heat and add butter. Then add the nectarines and drizzle honey into the pan with it. Reduce to a simmer and allow for the nectarines to caramelize a bit (it takes about a minute on each side of the nectarines, but remember they will bake more in the oven).
- Add balsamic vinegar, honey and Sriracha into a saucepan. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer. It will take about 10-15 minutes and the liquid will reduce to about half the amount.
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. Lay Naan on baking trays and brush with olive oil. Now the fun begins! Generously spread the walnut pesto on top of each Naan piece. Sprinkle on fontina cheese, add sun-dried tomatoes and the caramelized nectarines, and sprinkle on blue cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes in the oven. Once out of the oven, drizzle that spicy balsamic over the pizza like it is nobody’s business!
Finally eat it. Oh, yes.
The pizza was delish. The combination of flavours was truly unreal. In each bite you would get a totally different taste (which was awesome!). The caramelized nectarines brought a great sweetness, whilst the Sriracha added a nice settle yet spicy kick. The sun-dried tomatoes were my absolute favourite.
Possible improvements would be to:
- Use pine nuts instead of walnuts when making the pesto (they have a better taste in my opinion).
- Use less blue cheese because this would make it way less salty.
- Add an arugula salad on top or at the side, because its nutty taste would work incredibly well with the flavourful pizza… plus it would make it healthier!
Let me know if you make this recipe! :D